Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Small Car Owners Forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

motor swap

Go down 
+6
bruce-ti
Privatealpha
rhys
Red Dog
888ASS
SPLexcel
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2009-03-10

motor swap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:51 am

someone who you would happily fork out 5-6k to.
Back to top Go down
Privatealpha
Mitsi EVO IX
Privatealpha

Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 am

Dont forget, that if you upgrade the engine, most mechanics will require you to also upgrade the brakes, to those fitted with the engine originally.
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

Number of posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 am

and in the excel's case, this will be most necessary. at the least, the rear brakes will need to be upgraded to discs. it would end up being a very expensive modification, and would need a lot of time and effort.

but good on you if you go ahead with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 am

Unique is overrated. If you put a motor you can afford to into an excel it would have been done before I'd put money on it. If you put something nobody has done before in it then chances are it won't be legal.

Be smart

Be realistic

get a decent platform to modify.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 am

Red Dog wrote:
someone who you would happily fork out 5-6k to.

You're kidding, in Townsville you can double that figure and still end up with a slow, crappy, un-registerable car.
Back to top Go down
Mr Focus
El Presidente
Mr Focus

Number of posts : 1514
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:22 am

with engine transplants, you'll find the cost will blow out bigtime, unless they've been tried, tested and succeeded

A good mate of mine is doing a k20a transplant in a gen 2 CRX and its taken 4 years, lots of heartache and half the australian deficit to get it done. He was the first in aus to start such a project and has had many issues with it, even though its still a Honda engine

Look at Bob. He's had major issues fitting the ca18 into his pulsar

Apart from whats been said already, you've got to look at: Driveshafts, mounts (engine and gearbox), suspension upgrade (usually due to the cars age and the weight of the new engine), re-wiring pretty much the whole car, possible cutting of the interior to fit the new transmission, then you have to get it roadworthied, blue plated and registered

I do like your thinking though. Its good to see people are thinking outside of the box
Back to top Go down
https://micromachines.forumotion.net
Privatealpha
Mitsi EVO IX
Privatealpha

Number of posts : 448

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 am

GRPABT1 wrote:
Unique is overrated. If you put a motor you can afford to into an excel it would have been done before I'd put money on it. If you put something nobody has done before in it then chances are it won't be legal.

Be smart

Be realistic

get a decent platform to modify.

The truth, he speaks it.
If you can't do anything yourself, AVOID.

However, I have receipts of the previous owner of my car doing an engine transplant, costs under $2000.
All done in one day, by 2 people.
Back to top Go down
rhys
Townsville Admin

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 am

in the end its your car you do how you please however think carefully about what you want to do as you dont want to spend a heap of money than change your mind on what you want
Back to top Go down
SPLexcel
DATSUN 180B
SPLexcel

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-07-09

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:11 am

i think il just keep the same motor they said it would be like 10 grand + so il just keep the car as it is i hole 40kw lol
Back to top Go down
rhys
Townsville Admin

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 4:08 pm

that is smart thinkin mate keep it till you get on your opens and by than you should have a decision on what you want to do
Back to top Go down
bod93
EB FALCON
bod93

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm

and if u save ur pennies the cash 2 buy sumfeb real nice, at least u had the plans 2 think well out side that box Razz
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 am

Mr Focus wrote:
with engine transplants, you'll find the cost will blow out bigtime, unless they've been tried, tested and succeeded

A good mate of mine is doing a k20a transplant in a gen 2 CRX and its taken 4 years, lots of heartache and half the australian deficit to get it done. He was the first in aus to start such a project and has had many issues with it, even though its still a Honda engine

Look at Bob. He's had major issues fitting the ca18 into his pulsar

Apart from whats been said already, you've got to look at: Driveshafts, mounts (engine and gearbox), suspension upgrade (usually due to the cars age and the weight of the new engine), re-wiring pretty much the whole car, possible cutting of the interior to fit the new transmission, then you have to get it roadworthied, blue plated and registered

I do like your thinking though. Its good to see people are thinking outside of the box

And the CA to pulsar is one of the easiest conversions, CAs use all but one of the engine mounts and still uses the pulsar gearbox perfectly. If you can't do 70-80 percent of the work yourself, don't go for a custom engine conversion, it'll just cost you way too much time and money
Back to top Go down
819FLY
Mitsi EVO IX

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:15 am

Some helpful advice, considering the Hyundai's use a mitsubishi engine in the first place, prob best to stick with one of them. Accent's use the 4g93 block with different head, as to the excel's not entirely sure, but none the less for an easier conversion look at the engine's heritage and then it can open up some options in regards to suitable transplant candidates.

When I had the accent I was considering doing a 4g63 conversion at one point, but it would have costed about 6 grand back then still, was cheaper to turbocharge or just get a fast car.... i.e GTR being bought.

If you don't care about money being wasted then go for it, if you want a nice quick car, then realistically the hyundai platform, although now are good, the older models are a bit flimsy with some parts failing immediately once you put more power into the chassis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: motor swap   motor swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

motor swap
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: GENERAL :: General Chat-
Jump to: