Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Small Car Owners Forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sprint car project.

Go down 
+4
bod93
rhys
Privatealpha
Winnie256
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Sprint car project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:46 am

So I would like to compile a check list or wishlist for the car. What are things we need to do, what are things we should eventually do and what are things we don't need but are cool Very Happy.

Needs:

New brake pads?
New rack ends (swap for a power steering rack while we're at it for less steering turns?)
Brake lines
Sound deadener removed
Interior stripped
Extinguisher.
New shocks
New springs (I have unused king lows)
Rear Swaybar

Should have:

Slotted rotors
More power
Bucket seat (I have one for it, its too flash murray but it is functional)
Harness
Roll cage
Bigger brakes (from an N15SSS or GTiR, or even skyline brakes on N16 hubs)
Lots more power
Gauges (Revs + Shiftlight, oil press, oil temp, water temp?)
Nolathane bushes throughout
Solid engine mounts
Braided lines
Strut braces front and rear
Semi slicks (with "new" rims?)
Side exit exhaust What a Face

Aesthetics/non crucials:

New paint
Racing stripes
Carbon airbox and headlight intake *cough*chris*cough*
Neons... Razz

Can anyone suggest anything else?

First sttep is to organise priority and costs. Whatever we can do ourselves or from wreckers comes first. Got to keep this ball rolling.

Also, funds.

We are all short on it, and i'm not expecting anyone to make any contributions other than their time, effort and support. But i was thinking maybe we could try and organise a raffle or other fund raising event. If you have things you no longer want maybe we could pool them together in a garage sale?
Back to top Go down
bod93
EB FALCON
bod93

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:54 pm

have u thought of coilovers instead of king springs as i kno g4 do them 4 the n13 and they r probebly bout the same price, as i paid $900 for mine..
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 am

yeah they do, but G4 are frogger puppy. I already have the kings, so the cost is either 400 for a set of shocks, or 1100 for a set of BC coilovers. Personally i'd rather the BC over using the king springs as king springs are also puppy compared to lovells and the like.

but we have to have a budget. gotta remember we have no money.
Back to top Go down
evo201
BMX

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 am

I would have to disagree with you on the g4's
i have the g4's in my evo and when it comes to handling it would be a strugle to stick with my car for the price.
i will fill you in on some details g4 was imported and sold as nolathane evolution by redranger, owners of whiteline.

I have used my G4 equiped evo at numerous track days at QR and found them to be great.

the car has also been on the pedders suspension testing machine and they came back with a positive report.
cheers
Troy
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 7:30 am

While I don't doubt that you've had excellent experiences with your g4 coilovers, there are a few points I'll put to you to justify my decision. I may have been a little harsh in my rating of them.

First, two questions for you:
1. how often do you drive your evo (kms per week)?
2. how often of that is flat stick racing?

A few points i have used to based my decision on why i believe BC coilovers to be superior.

1. While 95% of the population have G4s that work excellently and have never failed them, I know of at least 3 pulsar owners who have had them fail spectacularily. The only problem I have witnessed (so far out of only 7 or 8 pulsars) was one inverted monotube dampner coilover was devoid of gas upon arrival.

2. Those failures of the G4's, while rare, i'm led to believe ocurred due to the alloy in the mount tearing, possibly a byproduct of lack of quality control. BC coilovers however use a cast iron mount I do believe.

3. BC coilovers are rebranded GREDDY coilovers. Although, due to them not actually being sold by GREDDY, it would be safe to assume that the quality control is not nearly as good.

So to summarise:

I have seen failures in G4s, as well as great successes. I have seen dodgy parts delivered with BCs, but with the company willing to help. BC's don't cost that much more than G4s.

But givin the chance i would go with a big name brand without hesitation. But as far as Budget adjustable coilovers go in the world of pulsars, BC seems to have the edge and the majority of public support.

But as I said, this is merely my OPINION from my observations, and I very much appreciate the feedback regarding other alternatives, as this was the original purpose of the thread
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 am

look up hotbits coilovers
Back to top Go down
819FLY
Mitsi EVO IX

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:29 pm

As far as I am looking at I am seeing the outcome trying to be achieved is to build a budget racer for as little as possible. Considering the types of circuits around the area are not that big and fast (go-kart, motorkhana, mako etc...) maybe more so focus on what we can lose and use rather then spending cash on things that won't necessitate instant improvements (i.e, coilovers, turbo kits etc...).

Its a small light car so it shouldn't warrant big power, however chassis and suspension setup is crucial to a good performer, if maybe cutting down on suspension items and staying close to stock perhaps use solid bushes or new ones depending on peoples opinion. Rear Sway Bar - essential for FWD, strut tower braces front and rear, maybe an upgraded clutch and a custom CAI setup and exhaust. If the engine still runs fine then perhaps stick with it for the time being (just give it a once over, adjust valves, service and belts...)

Anthony is onto a good idea, saved cash straight up not buying a car, the idea is to make it a fun car that isn't stupid and can promote the smaller cars and its supporters kicking about.

In a personal sense I don't think too much money has to be spent on it if that is what's holding people back.
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 2:05 am

straight on the money there!

The engine runs fine, but i'll be seeing if i can pick up a 1.8l for cheap.

This is no longer going to be a group project, as that will just cause too much hassles. This'll be my project that i'll be asking for help on. I still want to get everyone involved.

And i'll supply beer Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sprint car project.   Sprint car project. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sprint car project.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: GENERAL :: General Chat-
Jump to: