Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Small Car Owners Forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swift GTi Reporting in

Go down 
+2
Mr Focus
famous-GTi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Swift GTi Reporting in Empty
PostSubject: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 am

Hey all.

The names Karl but everyone calls me Karlos.

I am a long time lover of the phenomenon called Power to Weight Ratios, some just don't understand. I am 19 now and have been driving my 91 Mk2 GTi for 2 years now and still get the biggest rush out of every drive. When i was alot younger, i dreamed of having a small fast car like a starlet GT or a Nissan GTiR or something like that, but my dreams were out of reach and at the time i realised my 4 banger petrol Jackaroo was draining my money from fuel bills. mean while my sister was driving a swift Cino. i was skeptical at the time, g13ba carby engine. pfft that couldnt be that fast could it??? dad took me for a drive and i was pleasently surprised, it wasnt a rocket ship but it went quick. Then dad made a huge mistake and told me that there was a faster version called the Swift GTi. thats when i began my search for a GTi.
Managed to pick one up in good condition, just a blown head gasket for 2k.
Over the 2 years i have had it i have added...
Chipped ECU, 2 inch mandrel bent exhaust with high flow cat and genie extractors, an SR20 60mm throttle body, billet fuel rail and sard FPR, cold air intake, lovell 40mm springs, RDA slotted rotors, Lucas TRW pads, Alpine CDA9885 head unit, type R sub with 700 wat V power monoblock amp and replica TE37 wheels with falken rubber
Got it painted in a custom Jet black with pearl all through it, nothing ridiculously autosalon-y just enough to catch your eye.

Plenty more things to come for my baby just don't have the money right now after the little accident it had a month or 2 back.

Cheers

Karlos
Back to top Go down
Mr Focus
El Presidente
Mr Focus

Number of posts : 1514
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 am

Welcome Karl! We'll hafta catch up sometime
Back to top Go down
https://micromachines.forumotion.net
BobsN13
Founding Member
BobsN13

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 am

Welcome mate. Have you got any pics of her?
Back to top Go down
https://micromachines.forumotion.net/index.htm
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:02 pm

I do have pictures but i think they are on my external hard drive right now which i cant seem to find.
I will get some up soon. some of you might already know of me, AKA drumer_z on redline swift forum.
Back to top Go down
BobsN13
Founding Member
BobsN13

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I can see from your avatar that she looks pretty good. Love this model.
Back to top Go down
Mr Focus
El Presidente
Mr Focus

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:25 am

I had a feeling it was you!
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 am

ahaha welcome drummer_z/karl/famous_gti, to our slice of paradise. just another swift owner to outnumber the masses.

just out of curiousity, how did you find out about us?
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:23 am

Hey the pulsars aren't too far behind rhys! :p
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 am

BobsN13 wrote:
I can see from your avatar that she looks pretty good. Love this model.
Thanks i love the Mk2's everything about them from the tail lights to the bumpers, to the dash. maybe just because its my car i have grown to love it so much.
Swift GTi Reporting in Img_3211

Unfortuanately i was in an accident a few months back and ran up the back of a lady and well lets just say my cars front end crumpled like a tin can.
Bent the radiator support panel, top half of the bumper, head lights and bent the bonnet pretty badly too, Somehow the guards were still 100% intact. No one was hurt. Sure it was a little bit of a hurdle i had to overcome i took it as an opportunity to try my hand at some panel beating with dads help. Managed to pick up a swift GTi look alike cheap and stole the front end off it. I am all back on the road, it looks a little bit funny but hey, it drives just as hard as it used to.
Swift GTi Reporting in Img_3410
Swift GTi Reporting in Pc160010

Found the external HD hopefully all these pictures work

Red dog, i found out on Mr. Focus's signature on Redline
Back to top Go down
BobsN13
Founding Member
BobsN13

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 am

Looks the goods mate. Pity about the accident though. You gonna rub it back and get it re-painted?
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:39 pm

BobsN13 wrote:
Looks the goods mate. Pity about the accident though. You gonna rub it back and get it re-painted?
Yeah in time i will get it painted. A week after my car accident i damaged disks in my lower back and had to quit my main source of income which was working with a stone mason. Have been a little strapped for cash lately only getting 3 or 4 shifts a week at the fish n chip shop
Back to top Go down
jason73
SKATEBOARD
jason73

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

You'll come good Karl - just gotta stick with it ....
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Jason. I have all the other fellas that work there palming me their unwanted shifts. I can live off what i am earning which is all that matters
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

Bout that time ay chaps, time for an update.

Ok well started my mechanics apprenticeship and wages are very low as i expected, but i saved up my cash and got the front part of my car resprayed and straightened up a little more (thanks Troy). The only thing different about it now is it has a mk3 front bar, even though i wanted to keep the Mk2 one but it was going to be too hard to repair.

Went on a cruise with some of the new Swift drivers a while back (Mr focus your car is mint!!!), up around Mt Neebo and could feel my brake fluid boiling on some of the down hill parts. So i have decided that the next installment is Steel braided brake lines most likely on all 4 corners and fresh fluid.

Any suggestions to what brand fluid? Either going to be a dot 3 or 4.

Karlos
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 am

slotted rotors prolly wouldn't go astray.
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 am

get the best possible dot 4 fluid. castrol response dot 4 is a pretty decent bit of kit.

i think that the braided lines wont be helping you too much with the boiling side of things, they more so help out with brake fade, but slotted and drilled rotors will be of more advantage as they help to clear out the hot gasses that form under heavy breaking.

hope it all goes well.

Cheers, Rhys.
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 am

I have had RDA slotted rotors for a while now, a top buy in my opinion. Had much more of a bite than standard disks. I have been told Penrite Sin is a great fluid too
Back to top Go down
Mr Focus
El Presidente
Mr Focus

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Penrite Sin oils are top notch! You can also get Redline oil (which evo201 will testify) is top notch too. You can get it from Bursons in Nambour...not too sure who else sells it though

Drilled rotors are great at stopping your car, but if they're hot and you drive through water, you may find they'll crack. Its a common occurence and why drilled generally aren't too good for street cars
Back to top Go down
Red Dog
Subaru WRX
Red Dog

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 am

the general vibe i have heard about drilled is that they are more so bad for track use, as the constant heating up/ cooling down makes them crack.

i mean sure they will crack if you go through water, but i cant really see me going through much water Smile

what sort of pads are you using?
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Red Dog wrote:
the general vibe i have heard about drilled is that they are more so bad for track use, as the constant heating up/ cooling down makes them crack.

i mean sure they will crack if you go through water, but i cant really see me going through much water Smile

what sort of pads are you using?

I too have heard a few bad things about cross drilled rotors cracking. I am happy with my slotted rotors, kinda wish they were also dimpled too. I was recommended by a mate who uses his GTi as a hillclimb car to get Lucas TRW pads. Unlike green stuff pads they don't need to heat up too much to work well and i figured since i don't spend a lot of time at the track (or any at the moment) these would probably suit my application very well.

meanwhile...I managed to pick up some Autometer gauges, oil pressure and water temp at a very reasonably price recently. hopefully receiving them this week and if i get time i will hook them up on friday or sunday. Also scored a free fire extinguisher from work today, just in case of emergency
Back to top Go down
famous-GTi
Captain Slow
famous-GTi

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Thought i might up date my page.

Since the brake up grades i have installed a custom ground cam that is best described as a Cultus +1mm cam. Have had them dialed in by Graeme at PCP (Perfection Custom Performance) and run in on an inaccurate dyno to give me around 100bhpatw give or take a few hp. The torque is incredible from about 2800rpm it just goes! At idle it has been mistaken for a rotary. It is fricken lumpy! brup brup brup brup. Gets a few people scratching their heads when they hear it idle.
I have also changed the engine mounts, steering wheel (deep dish OMP suede), Changed brake pad. Although the lucas pad was incredible it was eating up my brake disc quite quickly. It now has QFM HP-X pads in it which are a little bit slippery when cold but once they have a little heat, stopping distances are next to nothing! New koni yellow adjustable shocks in the rear. I have a new brake master cylinder to go in and steel braided brake lines. that is about all.

Safe Driving all!

Back to top Go down
BobsN13
Founding Member
BobsN13

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 am

Sounds good mate. I love the sound of a cammed up engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swift GTi Reporting in   Swift GTi Reporting in Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swift GTi Reporting in
Page 1 of 1