Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Small Car Owners Forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

spare body panels?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2009-07-02

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:18 am

Anyone got some spare body panels in any condition except rusted I can borrow/have?

I just want to test how some differents paint come up after spending long times in the sun. So if you have some spare panels i can have, let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
bruce-ti
Subaru WRX
bruce-ti

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-03-12

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Well. That is a different sort of request. If you just want some metal. I probably have some off cuts in the scrap bin at work. Probably all Gal though.
Back to top Go down
Privatealpha
Mitsi EVO IX
Privatealpha

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-03-10

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 pm

2nd option could be the wreckers. Pry the fuel cover off.
Best thing to experiment with.
They usually charge $5-15 per cover.
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 am

nah i'll just wing it and paint the car Very Happy

Anyone know where I can get specific pressure pack colours from?

I'm looking for a nice burnt orange colour. Might just email the company/s
Back to top Go down
BobsN13
Founding Member
BobsN13

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-03-09

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 7:06 am

Go to Autobarn. They can mix the paint colour you want in a pressure pack. Thats how I did Nate's engine covers.
Back to top Go down
https://micromachines.forumotion.net/index.htm
bruce-ti
Subaru WRX
bruce-ti

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 am

Townsville wholesale paints will match colours or make pressure packs.
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 8:33 am

costs?
Back to top Go down
Mr Focus
El Presidente
Mr Focus

Number of posts : 1514
Registration date : 2009-03-08

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 am

Autobarn charge about $20-25 per can and can make it to any colour you wish. My manager when i worked at Autobarn painted his whole car (Sil80) in Matte Black with shop made spraycans
Back to top Go down
https://micromachines.forumotion.net
bruce-ti
Subaru WRX
bruce-ti

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 1:02 am

I think Townsville wholesale paints are about the same.

Depending on the colour that you want (burnt orange) have you looked at super cheap and places like that? There are huge ranges of colours available now.
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:06 am

super cheap actually didn't have as much of a colour range as I thought. I swear i remember them having heaps of colours though. I just don't really want to go with a "ordered" paint, i'd rather keep it off the shelf, in case I want more down the track, paint never mixes the same way twice lol.

I'm thinking i'm going to need around 25-30 cans for an exterior spray?
Back to top Go down
Privatealpha
Mitsi EVO IX
Privatealpha

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-03-10

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 am

Are you painting that N13 of yours?
Rattle cans will give a puppy paint job, not enough air pressure to propel the paint which leads to un-even size droplets and blotchy paint.

I would recommend, getting a cheap air pump, sometimes on special for $100. Buy a spray paint kit another $100. Then buy paint from Townsville Wholesale, but buy from the catalog , which is paint matched to manufacturers. Will probably end up costing $500 for this route. Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:23 am

Might do that then, I've just never messed about with an air gun.

I'll prolly stick to acrylic paints though, Its not worth the money it costs to use 2pak paint.

Anyone ever used an air gun before? I could do with some pointers lol
Back to top Go down
bruce-ti
Subaru WRX
bruce-ti

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:06 am

I have a gun you can use.........as long as it comes back clean.

I am sure there are probably people on here with more experience than me. But i have done a bit in the past. It is all prep and patience. And making sure everything is cleaned nicely. There is alot of hidden costs involved. Thinners, sand paper, wax and grease remover, more thinners for cleaning, puppy loads of rags, undercoat. If you pick a solid then you do not have to do a clear coat, but if it is a base like a metallic, then you need a clear coat as well.

It got a lot cheaper for me doing my interior when i realised how far i was going to go and went away from trying t colour match and use pressure packs.
Back to top Go down
Winnie256
Subaru WRX
Winnie256

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:40 am

I might just get my own compressor and gun, be easier that way, and then I have it for as long as i want. Maybe i'll wait until after christmas, when the prices hit rock bottom.

The car isn't a show car, or even a street car, so i'm not too fussed if i make mistakes now haha. But I appreciate the offer bruce.

So its time to search google for DIY painting to learn about compressor, nozzles and thinners
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

spare body panels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spare body panels?   spare body panels? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

spare body panels?
Page 1 of 1